|Guest Editorial: Evidence-Based
Standards of Care (Gleason)
1. The author believes that evidence-based standards of pastoral care should be developed by
a. thoughtful pastoral researchers.
b. the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations JCAHO).
c. state licensure boards.
d. no one, since matters of the spirit cannot be objectified.
Fantasy and Mourning (Beers)
2. What did Heinz Kohut mean by “vicarious introspection”?
a. self-perception: awareness of my strengths and weaknesses.
b. heterogeneity: recognizing how I am different from another.
c. empathy: my capacity to appreciate the suffering of another.
d. alterity: observing another person’s strangeness.
A National Survey of Hospital Directors’ Views (Flannelly)
3. All four groups of directors saw ___ as the most important chaplain role.
a. dealing with grief and death
b. praying with patients
c. providing emotional support
d. performing religious services and rituals
4. In a typical hospital, the chaplain’s closest ally and supporter is a
b. social worker.
c. local minister.
5. Which is NOT true about schizophrenia?
a. Most schizophrenics hear voices.
b. Most schizophrenics are violent.
c. Most schizophrenics are paralyzed with fear and false beliefs (delusions).
d. Many schizophrenics are homeless.
6. A woman tells a pastoral care giver that she will shortly give birth to an angel who was fathered by the Holy Spirit. An appropriate response would be to
a. change the subject.
b. ask her how she learned this.
c. gently challenge the validity of her experience.
d. have her committed to a psychiatric hospital.
7. What is the difference between a genuine religious experience and a psychotic episode?
a. A religious experience has acceptable content; psychotic content raises suspicion.
b. A person having a religious experience knows it is unusual and may try to validate it; a psychotic doesn’t view an episode as abnormal and expects others to accept it as ordinary.
c. A religious experience should benefit others; a psychotic episode brings disorder and chaos to others.
d. all of the above
I Had a Hammer (Penner)
8. Which pastoral ministry tool was effective with acute schizophrenics?
a. the narrative tool (listening to stories)
b. the tool of enabling people (finding solutions)
c. sharing good news (religious hope)
d. none of the above.
9. The author is convinced that
a. prayer helps reduce schizophrenic symptoms.
b. talking about God does not come easy with schizophrenics.
c. God is present in a special way with those who suffer.
d. she now knows how to comfort schizophrenics.
Christian Practices in Urban CPE (Sheehan)
10. Serving the homeless, one CPE student noted that through the biblical practice of _____, one is to be an advocate for the economic relief of one’s neighbor.
a. Unleavened Bread (Leviticus 23:6-8)
b. First Fruits (Leviticus 23:9-14)
c. Jubilee (Leviticus 25:8-55)
d. Tabernacles (Leviticus 23:33-43)