HOW THIS BOOK IS HELPFUL TO COUNSELORS
Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child Eliminating Conflict by
Establishing Clear, Firm and Respectful Boundaries
(Robert J. MacKenzie, Ed.D)
Robert J. MacKenzie, Ed.D., is an educational psychologist, and marriage,
family, and child therapist with more than 15 years experience working with
family and classroom behavioral problems.
From the material in this book counselors can teach their parent-clients:
1. How strong-willed children learn to obey parental rules.
2. The most effective method for parents to express their wishes to their children and what to when their children do not comply.
3. How to avoid using ineffective methods such as threats, reminding, explaining, debating, accusations, bargaining, shame, and limits that are not supported by action.
4. How to express clear limits by keeping the focus on what behavior you want to change, being specific and direct, and speaking in a voice that is not angry or harsh.
5. How to stop power struggles before they begin.
6. How to use logical consequences effectively in disciplining children, including using them immediately, in proportion to the behavior, and followed by a clean slate for the child.
7. How the best logical consequence for a child who is whining, fussing, nagging, or badgering is to temporarily separate the child from the parent.
8. How to use time-outs effectively, including keeping them brief (so they can be used frequently if need be), and setting a timer.
9. How to motivate strong-willed children through encouraging words.